Nurse Loves Farmer


« March 2019 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Tuesday, 24 July 2012 21:10

Finger Painting!!!

A few days ago I commented on the fact that I had lost my camera, after spending a great day taking pictures of Clara's finger painting day a couple of weeks ago.  i would like to note that although I had assumed without thinking that it had been MY slip-up, that I had lost the camera because I am that flighty - the camera was found in my husband's messenger bag, the one he brings to work.  :)

Anyway, here is our finger painting day!

I don't actually remember the exact recipe I used for this, but the ones I found online were almost all the same:


  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups cold water
  • food colouring


In a medium pan, mix all the ingredients together to make the finger paint. Cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring the finger paint mixture until it is smooth and thick. After the finger paint has thickened take the pan off the stove and let the mixture cool.

After cooling, divide the finger paint into storage containers depending on how many colors you would like. Add a few drops of food coloring to each container.

Stir the coloring in to the paint to determine the shade of color. You're ready to finger paint! Cover tightly when storing.

I should note that although the consistency of the finger paint was really nice when I had poured it into these jars, after it had cooled it had thickened quite a bit.  I don't know if I added to much corn starch (I'm not a very precise measurer) or if I let it cook too long.  Either way, I'll aim for runnier next time!

When it was ready, we headed out to the deck where Clara could feel free to get messy!

Here, it looks like she's trying to conduct the finger paint...

She got a bit more into it, but it always seems to stress her out when her hands aren't clean.  My little priss.

While we were outside, I gave her two different sheets of paper.  I helped a bit, just to smooth out some of the bigger globs that she had ignored at the end of each 'session'.  Call it artistic license, but there was no way these pictures would fit into any type of frame with the kind of globs she left behind, so I smoothed them for her.

Then I hung them on the wall of our deck to dry. This one was my favourite, I think.  Unfortunately because the paint was so thick, despite my efforts to keep it as smooth and thin as possible, it still gathered and cracked, so the pictures aren't frame-able after all.  I'll try again, though, because I love what they ended up looking like!

Read 4702 times Last modified on Wednesday, 25 July 2012 12:46

Login Form

Latest Comments

Popular Blog Posts